The average job search length in the US in 2014 was 12 months — 18-24 months for executives. Do you know how to trim your search length while pushing your search’s effectiveness through the roof? If not, these resources will help. From favorite blog posts and expert articles to coaching programs, websites, and job seeker services pertinent to the executive career search, I’ve got you covered.
Resources for Mid-Management Professionals to Senior Executives
I’ve sorted through my wealth of blog posts and online articles to identify and categorize the ones you most need to read:
- 7 Must-Haves You Need to Manage Your Career Proactively
- Manage Your Online Image Wisely
- Why Do Career Values Matter?
- How Can I Increase My Salary?
- The Top 10 Reasons You Need a Career Journal
- Career Vision Planner
- 6 Steps to a Strategic Career Change
- 6 Ways to Figure Out What You Want in a Job
- Considering a Career Change?
- Reinvent Your Career In Five Simple Steps
- Managing Emotions During Career Change and Job Search, Part One
- Managing Emotions During Career Change and Job Search, Part Two
- Landing a Great Job Without a College Degree
- 4 Ways to Optimize Life/Work Balance in the Midst of an Executive Job Search
- How to Maintain Your Life Balance in the Midst of Job Search or Career Change
- Balancing Your Job Search with the Rest of Your Life
Executive Job Search Best Practices:
Managing Your Search:
- Your Career Liabilities: Why They Matter
- How to Position Your Personal Brand for Next-Stage Career Growth
- How to Overcome 2 Common Career Liabilities in Your Resume & Job Search
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Target Specific Companies in Your Job Search
- 5 Keys to Crafting Your Executive Job Search Action Plan
- Jumpstart Your Executive Search in 2016
- 5 Executive Job Search Myths that Can Ruin Your 2016 Job-Hunt
- 10 Daily Job Search Habits to Energize Your 2016 Job Hunt
- The Top 5 Job Search Strategies for Mid-Managers & Senior Executives
- 16 Undercover Job Search Strategies
- 7 Reasons Your Job Search Isn’t Getting Traction
- 7 Ways to Maximize a Part-Time Job Search
- Top 8 Job Search Trends for 2015
- The #1 Secret to Getting an Employer’s Attention
- What Is Your Executive Job Search Strategy?
- 35 Tools & Apps to Streamline Your Executive Search
- The 3-Step ‘Beat Unemployment’ Plan
- How to Avoid the Underemployment Trap
- Job Search Creativity: 30 Ways to Bolster Yours
- 7 Career & Job Search Habits
- 3 Ways to End Those Job Search Blues
- Executive Resume Writing: 2013 Trends & Best Practices
- The Jobs Least Likely to be Outsourced
- Why Do You Job Search?
- Leveraging Interpersonal Support in Your Search
- Improve Your Job Search Results with SWOT Analysis
- The 9 to 5 Job Search
- Unschedule Your Search
- Organize Your Job Search
Accessing the Hidden Job Market:
- 3 Ways to Leverage LinkedIn to Penetrate the Hidden Job Market
- Hidden Job Market Penetration Tactics
- A New Approach to Online Searching
- Guerrilla Job Search Techniques
Making the Most of Job Board Submissions:
- 5 Ways Job Boards Will Slow Down Your Search
- The 6 Kinds of Job Boards
- Online Job Boards Rejection Letter Tips
- Online Job Search Errors
Managing Your References:
- 5 Tips for Leveraging Content to Get Noticed in a Job Search
- The Top 7 Ways to Showcase Your Brand on LinkedIn
- 8 Simple Ways to Step Away from the Crowd
- What’s Your Career Story and Why Does It Matter?
- How Guest Blogging Can Bolster Your Career Brand
- Fire Your CEO: Reorganize the Business of BrandYOU(TM)
- 5 Tips for Building Your Brand on LinkedIn
- Brand Magic: Make Your Audience Care About Your Candidacy
- Avoiding Brand Burn-Out
- 2014 Personal Branding Trends
Executive Resume Writing:
- 10 Top Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #1
- 10 Top Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #2
- Top 10 Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #3
- Top 10 Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #4
- Top 10 Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #5
- Top 10 Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #6
- Top 10 Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #7
- Top 10 Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #8
- Top 10 Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #9
- Top 10 Reasons Your Resume Is a Failure — #10
- Is Your Resume Conveying Your Career Story?
- 4 Key Principles that Elevate Executive Resumes from Mundane to Masterful
- Is Your Resume’s Career Summary a Failure?
- 7 Ways to Showcase Your Career Brand in Your Executive Resume
- 4 Ways a Multinational Resume Differs from a CV, Part 1
- 4 Ways a Multinational Resume Differs from a CV, Part 2
- 3 Job Search Situations in Which You Need a Multinational Resume Rather than a CV
- 7 Strategies to Get More Recruiters to Read Your Resume
- 7 Title & Tagline Strategies for Executive Resumes
- Overhaul Your Executive Resume’s Look & Feel
- Makeover Your Resume Achievements
- 10 Ways to Condense Your Resume without Losing Value
- What’s Your Career’s Big Picture
- 6 Common Weaknesses in Mid-Career & Executive Resumes
- Your Resume Tells a Story
- Common Resume Mistakes
- The Perfect Resume
- Crafting A Stellar Career Summary For Your Resume
- Resurrecting the Perfect Resume, Part One
- Resurrecting the Perfect Resume, Part Two
- 175 Power Verbs and Phrases for Resumes, Cover Letters & Interviews
Additional Career Communications Tools:
- The Savvy Executive’s Career Communications Portfolio
- Executive Bios: The Top 10 Ways to Use One
- Sample Personal Marketing Brief
- Job Seekers: What Should Your Email Signature Say?
Executive Cover Letter Writing:
- Networking Letters
- Media Opportunities
- Creative Additions for Resumes/Letters
- Optimize Your Email Communications
Executive Interviewing & Salary Negotiations:
Interviewing Best Practices:
- What’s Your Why-Buy-ROI?
- 5 Ways Word Choice Can Elevate Your Resume, LinkedIn Profile, and Interviews
- 7 Things all Interviewers Want to Know About Your Brand
- How to Answer that Dreaded “Weakness” Question
- How To Get More Interviews In Your Job Search
- Dress for Success
- Ace That Phone Interview
Salary Negotiation Best Practices
- Evaluating Job Opportunities
- Intro to Salary Negotiations
- Pinpointing Your Salary Range
- 5 Steps to Effective Salary Negotiations
- More Salary Negotiations Tips
- Declining a Job Offer
Working with Recruiters:
- BlueSteps Review: Need a Shortcut to Sourcing Executive Recruiters?
- 7 Steps to Building Relationships with Recruiters on LinkedIn
- Retained vs. Contingency Recruiters
- The Best Way to Find a Recruiter
- Optimize Your Relationship with Recruiters
- Following Up with Recruiters
- Following Up with Recruiters, Part 2
- Is Recruiter Blasting Worth It?
- 7 Reasons Your Resume Is a Poor Networking Tool
- 5 Problems with Your Networking
- Executive Networking & Interviews: Tell Me About Yourself
- How to Build Strong Relationships with Recruiters, Hiring Executives & Key Influencers
- Executive Job Interviews & Networking: Improve Yours
- Manage Your Online Image
- Creative Networking Techniques
- More Creative Networking Techniques
- Elements of Great Elevator Speeches
- 4 Reasons Why Your Resume Isn’t an Effective Networking Tool
Executive LinkedIn Strategies:
- The ERR Top 10 Thought Leadership Topics
- How to Develop Thought Leadership Content as a Job Seeker
- 5 Ways to Promote Your LinkedIn Profile for Job Search
- 6 LinkedIn Job Search Myths That Can Derail Your 2016 Job-Hunt
- Tell Your Career Story in Your LinkedIn Profile
- Your Job Search Action Plan for LinkedIn
- Position Your LinkedIn Profile for a Job Search
- 7 Ways a LinkedIn Thought Leadership Strategy Can Extend Your Career Brand
- The Top 10 Ways to Guarantee Poor Traffic for Your LinkedIn Profile, Part 1
- The Top 10 Ways to Guarantee Poor Traffic for Your LinkedIn Profile, Part 2
- 6 LinkedIn Opportunities You’re Missing Out On
- 3 Ways to Get Discovered on LinkedIn: The Thought Leadership Strategy
- The TMI Dilemma: 12 Ways Too Much Information is Deadly on Resumes & LinkedIn Profiles
- 3 LinkedIn Networks You Don’t Know You Have
- 7 Reasons You Need a LinkedIn Routine — Employed or Not
- 10 Places to Promote Your LinkedIn Profile
- 5 Tips for Leveraging Content to Get Noticed in a Job Search
- 4 Ways to Leverage LinkedIn as a Market Intelligence Tool
- 6 Ways to Utilize Your LinkedIn Alumni Network
- How to Write a Killer LinkedIn Summary
- 10 Ways LinkedIn Can Improve Your Job Search Results
- Maximize Your Job Search with LinkedIn
- 3 Ways to Supercharge Your LinkedIn Recommendations
- 10 Things Every Job Seeker Needs to Know About LinkedIn
- 10 Ways to Leverage LinkedIn Company Pages
Coaching Programs & Online Classes
- Executive Job Search Kickoff helps you to establish a firm foundation for your job-hunt. It’s the perfect accompaniment to my resume writing services because you can be building out your Job Search Action Plan while I draft your new career communications portfolio.
- Executive Job Search Momentum follows Kickoff and guides you through the process of executing your executive search. Momentum includes weekly tracking and job search metrics, weekly check-ins with your Executive Job Search Coach, and BrandYou(TM) messaging templates and editing.
- Introduction to Journaling — this comprehensive class presents 12 basic to intermediate lessons on journaling, including how to leverage journaling to navigate major life change, discover your values, and explore your career options. Course lasts 6 weeks; a new session launches monthly. More than 4,000 adults have take my course since it launched in 2004.
Recommended Job Search Sites & Services
- StrengthsFinder.com offers an extensive free assessment of your strengths based on those described in the best-selling book, StrengthsFinder. This resource is a gem that offers you unique insight into yourself.
- AssessmentGoddess.com provides an array of career and personal branding tools. Susan Guarneri comes highly recommended.
Job Search Tools:
- JibberJobber.com is the preeminent job search organization and relationship management tool.
- CareerShift.com is another job search management and CRM tool.
- ILostMyJob.com offers online tools and webinars for the laid off.
- CareerRealism.com is a career management best practices hub.
- AllisonTaylor.com specializes in checking your references so there are no surprises.
Recruiter Research & Distribution:
- ProfileResearch.com gets my thumbs up for the best executive recruiter research and distribution services.
- JobsbyFax.com offers another way to get your career materials into the hands of recruiters and employers.
- CareerFlair.com is the best online resume tool I’ve seen, and I’ve seen more than a few. What I love about CareerFlair is that it enables job seekers to promote different skill sets. If you’re pursuing multiple types of jobs or both corporate and consulting work at the same time, it can be difficult to position yourself equally for both. CareerFlair solves that problem by allowing you to build multiple themed success stories and profiling them in multiple resumes.
Executive Job Boards:
There are more than a few of these out there, but my personal faves are these 3 executive job boards. Note that The Ladders doesn’t make my list — I do not recommend using it.
- Execunet — I recommend Execunet because they offer executive-level networking events around the US. If you’re located in a city that hosts their events, it will be worth your while to consider a membership, especially if you are not open to relocation or have very specific relocation needs.
- BlueSteps — In addition to executive-oriented job postings, BlueSteps offers a built-in global recruiter database (retained recruiters only, which is exactly what you want). This job board is owned by the Association of Executive Search Consultants. I should note that I am a member of the BlueSteps Career Services Team, though I earn no referral from sending you their way. I do have a 20% coupon I am happy to share with clients who wish to use their services.
- Netshare — Like Execunet and BlueSteps, Netshare specializes in job postings for executive candidates (director-level and up)